Saturday, July 3, 2010

7/3/2010

I've discovered as I start to feel better I'm not as quick to update my blog. I'm thinking this is probably a good thing as the blog was recommended by my therapist as a way to feel less like I've become my disease. These last several weeks have been really great and while I still have my down days they are fewer and farther between. I feel more myself than I have in a long time.

Monday I had the port put in and generally it went well. The anesthesiologist told me I would be in a twilight state, not completely under but stronger than the level they use for a colonoscopy. I might be somewhat wakeful and notice blue draping over my head but more than likely I wouldn't remember any of it. Note to self, NEVER get a colonoscopy at RUSH. Not only was I more aware than I would have liked to have been, I still remember it. For a place that practically shoves morphine at you in the ER they are a bit stingy in the OR. Plus they sent me home without any prescription for pain medication, recommending Tylenol. I don't know about you but I might as well suck on a tic tac for all the good that was. Thankfully Ben was given a prescription for pain medication after his skateboarding debacle in Green Lake and there was some of that left so I was able to take the edge off that first night.

My chemo nurses were giddy with delight when they saw my port on Tuesday. I might be overstating the level of enthusiasm but I don't think so, they were pretty darn happy and we used it right away. Today is Saturday and it's still tender and sticks up more than I was expecting but we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if the anestheisologist has ever been through one of these procedures to know what a twilight state feels like?

    ReplyDelete